The African Telecommunications Union (ATU) is the specialized institution of the African Union in the field of Telecommunications/ICTs and was established on December 7th, 1977 to foster the development of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) infrastructure and services in Africa. ATU is a membership-driven organization, currently comprising fifty-one (51) Member States and fifty-six (56) Associate Members mostly key stakeholders in the ICTs ecosystem.
The mission of ATU is to promote the rapid development of info-communications in Africa in order to achieve universal access, and full inter-country connectivity ATU provides a forum for stakeholders in ICT industry to formulate effective policies and strategies aimed at improving access to info-communications infrastructure and services. In addition, the Union represents the interests of its members at global decision-making fora and promotes initiatives aimed at integrating regional markets, attracting investment into ICT infrastructure, and building institutional and human capacity on the continent. The Unions values are, Integrity and impartiality, Transparency and Accountability, Innovative Enabling African ICT environment and ability to innovate, Membership driven organization and Information and knowledge sharing
ATU is opening a vacancy for the position of the Standardization Coordinator and inviting qualified experts from ATU Member States to apply for the position in line with the requirements below:
II. Detailed requirements
|1. Job Title
|Coordinator – Standardization
|2. Reports to
|3. Job purpose
|Lead the development and implementation of the standardization activities within the ATU General Secretariat to ensure achievement of the Union’s objective, vision and mission
|4. Work station
|5. Main functions
|The Coordinator – Standardization Sector, shall be responsible for the preparation and the implementation of the ATU standardization sector activities, projects and programmes, provide support to the ATU Members in the preparation of global and regional events including the ITU WTSA and contribute to standardization related programmes within AU and African ICT organizations. This shall be done in accordance with ATU requirements of efficiency, accountability and integrity, and coordination of strategic planning, programme monitoring, partnership development and resource mobilization.
|6. Specific Responsibilities
Specifically, the Coordinator – Standardization shall be responsible for the discharge of the following duties:
1. The preparation and implementation of strategic plan and annual plan/budgets for the ATU Standardization sector, as well as, implementation, evaluation and reporting thereof.
2. Preparation for the WTSA and other global conferences relating to standardization in order to support ATU Members to develop African common proposals and coordinate their effective participation.
3. Identify key standardization topics and issues and conduct related studies or cause the studies to be undertaken via consultancy or other means such as ATU working/task groups;
4. Preparation, running and report of Standardization activities (e.g. meetings/conference/events), and other activities of ATU.
5. Preparation of workshops, content development and presentations;
6. Submit a quarterly report on the standardization related Activities implementation
7. Upon the request of the Secretary-General, represent the ATU at national, regional and international forums.
8. Carry out other duties that support the achievement of ATU’s mandate and objectives as may be assigned by the Secretary-General .
9. Actively contribute to identification and Management of potentials challenges that the Union may face
|7. Core Competencies
· Functional Competencies
· Analysis, judgement and sound decision making
· Communication and interactivity
· Innovation and facilitating change
· Networking and building partnerships
· Planning and organizing
· High leadership skill
· Technical Competencies
· Extensive knowledge of ATU, ITU and activities of other ICT standardization bodies.
· Ability to identify key strategic continental standardization issues, opportunities, and risks and to formulate and take proactive and responsive initiatives.
· Capacity to guide development of cross-sectoral policies and strategies.
· Ability to build up and motivate teams and achieve effective teamwork towards a timely delivery of high-quality outputs.
· Ability to maintain efficient working relationships at all levels.
|8. Academic requirements and relevant experience
The minimum academic qualifications are:
1. University degree in telecommunications, economics, law.
2. Master’s degree in engineering or business/strategy or law or international relations.
1. At least ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience, including a minimum of three (03) years in a regional/ international environment, either in the public or private sector;
2. Excellent knowledge of telecommunications/ICT in the international context; and
3. Experience in providing support to senior management on a wide range of telecommunications/ICT issues and policies is appreciated. Good knowledge of AU, ATU and ITU is a requirement and knowledge of the work of other African and global ICT organizations.
|9. Key skills / abilities
The minimum skills and abilities are:
1. Excellent speech and oral reporting including power point presentation.
2. Excellent report and email writing.
3. Proficient use of computing tools (word, power point, excel, etc.).
4. Ability to remain current with key ICTs technological development including ICT policies and regulation.
5. Ability to travel frequently.
6. Ability to work flexibly (i.e. outside of usual work hours).
|Proficiency of one of the two working languages of the Union (English, French). Fluency in both languages will be an added advantage.
|11. Tenure of employment
|The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as probationary. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
|12. Gender mainstream
|ATU is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
|14. Staff category
|15. Benefits and entitlements
|Total annual salary consists of a gross annual basic salary of US dollars 34,500 (before deduction for pension contribution and medical cover), a post adjustment (cost of living allowance) of 50% of the annual basic salary, an annual housing allowance of USD 23,400 and children dependent allowance of USD 10,000 per child per year in line with the ATU staff Rules and Regulations.
|The opportunity is only offered to citizens from ATU Member States.
|17. Deadline for submission
|Applications must be received no later than August 15, 2023
|18. Selection and evaluation
Please note that only selected candidates (those who fulfilled all the above mentioned requirements) will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria provided in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
ATU uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Information such as identification documents, academic papers and evidence of referred experience can be submitted electronically to : firstname.lastname@example.org